How to keep the kids entertained on holiday
Top 8 Activities for Kids on a villa holiday on the South Coast of Sri Lanka
Here at Meda Gedara, Sri Lanka’s finest seven bedroom beachfront family villa, sleeping a whooping 18 guests, we create the most memorable family holidays. Our magical wonderland of twin tiered swimming pools, a crazy 74ft heart stopping jungle pool slide, miles of sandy beach and the magnificent Indian Ocean is a child’s playground. Here are our top Eight things to do with kids when enjoying a villa holiday with us.
- Body Boarding
The best days to catch a wave on a boogie board are days with one-foot or two-foot waves, in a calm bay like Hiriketiya is perfect!
Start boogie boarding away from rocks and wear waterproof shirts or rash vests, this will avoid sea salt rashes. We’re talking from experience here!
Now lets ride the wave dude! We are no experts but this is what’s worked well for our family…..
- First, paddle to where the waves start breaking. WARNING! The Indian Ocean has a strong under-current so it is always recommended to do this in local bays that are manned and usually have calmer waters.
- Just before your board is on the wave, start paddling and lay on the board with your chest closer to the end of the board, so that the board stays nice and flat in the water.
- Once you have mastered this begin practicing pushing down on one side of the board to catch a longer wave.
- Water Bucket Relay
Kids love relay races, and at the beach the old egg and spoon race can be replaced with a water bucket relay. Give each child a plastic cup, spoon or large shell and have them run to the water, fill their carrying implement, and race to empty it in a bucket. Kids love the challenge of trying to keep the water from spilling before they get it into their bucket.
Required: a bucket and carrying tool for each child
3, Build a sandcastle
The beach is simply steps from the villa. Let your imagination run wild and build an epic sandcastle!
- Play a game of cricket
Anyone for cricket? Our fabulous lawn is the perfect spot to enjoy a bit of competitive family cricket. Grab the bat and a ball, you’ll need a bowler, a batsman and some fielders and have a fun game of Twenty20, in layman’s terms simple garden cricket.
- Cooking lesson with Roshan – Learn how to make Roshan’s delicious pasta pesto and Sri Lankan curry!
- Rock Pooling – At the end of your beach walk, see if you can find some creatures lurking in the rock pools!
- The Jungle Slide Challenge
Don’t forget our amazing heart stopping 74ft jungle pool slide. Slide down it on the traditional way or grab a lilo and add a few MPH!
- Beach Savenger Hunt:
Can you find….
- Something fuzzy
- Two kinds of shells
- Two different coloured rocks/pebbles
- Something you think is beautiful
- Something slimy
- Sea Glass
- A coconut
Can you touch….
- Something straight
- Something round
- Something smooth
- Something rough
- Jump a wave
- Cartwheel three times
- Bury a limb of someone in your team….no heads please!
Bonus – Can you find….
- A creature’s home
- Something you think is treasure
- A crab
To all children out there, if you have any other suggestions of what you’d like to do on holiday, please email us on email@example.com